This is your reminder with helpful tips

All tax-exempt organizations, including 501(c)(3)s, 501(c)(4)s, and 501(c)(6)s, must file a version of the Form 990 with the IRS.  Many of you on this list will qualify to file the “Form 990-N,” which is a simple 5-10 minute process.

You should be aware that if you do not file a Form 990 in 2019 and also did not file one in 2017 and 2018, your organization will lose its tax-exempt status and you will have to reapply with another application and filing fee.

When is my Form Due?

The Forms 990 are due 4 months and 15 days after the end of your fiscal year.  This means that if your fiscal year is the calendar year, your organization must file by May 15, 2019, or file an extension, which gives you until November 15th.  (For Form 990-N, don’t file an extension, just do it!)

Which Form?

Gross receipts (total income) of $50,000 or less: File Form 990-N (e-Postcard)

Filing Form 990-N is quick, easy, online, and requires no financial information—but is essential for preserving your tax-exempt status. After creating an account during your first visit, the process takes less than 10 minutes.

Information Needed to File e-Postcard

Completing the e-Postcard requires the eight items listed below:

  1. Employer identification number (EIN), also known as a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).
  2. Tax year
  3. Legal name and mailing address
  4. Any other names the organization uses
  5. Name and address of a principal officer
  6. Web site address if the organization has one
  7. Confirmation that the organization’s annual gross receipts are $50,000 or less
  8. If applicable, a statement that the organization has terminated or is terminating (going out of business)

To file Form 990-N, click here and scroll down to “Ready to file?”

Gross receipts (total income) of between $50,000 and $200,000: File Form 990-EZ*

Gross receipts (total income) of $200,000 or more: File Form 990*

ALL Private Foundations, regardless of receipts: File Form 990-PF*

*Forms 990-EZ, 990, and 990-PF can be found on the Charities and Nonprofits: Annual Reporting and Filing page of the IRS website.

Need help?

Please let us know if your organization has questions about Form 990 or if you need assistance.