Jessica Harrison joined Scholz Nonprofit Law in the spring of 2010. Jessica began her legal career as a law clerk to the Honorable Barbara B. Crabb of the Western District of Wisconsin. Prior to joining the firm, Jessica was an instructor of legal writing and analysis at the University of Wisconsin Law School in the East Asian Legal Studies Center. Jessica is a 2000 graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School, where she was Senior Articles Editor of the Wisconsin Law Review and a member of Moot Court. During law school, Jessica spent a year in the Republic of Palau, a small island nation in Micronesia, where she researched land use issues and honed her scuba diving skills.
Jessica Harrison grew up in Kentucky and received her B.A. from Duke University in 1993 in Comparative Area Studies and French. In her free time, Jessica enjoys playing tennis and soccer, traveling, reading, and spending time with her spouse and their two children.
- With Scholz Nonprofit Law since 2010, represented hundreds of nonprofit organizations throughout the country, including advice on:
- Structure: for-profit, independent nonprofit, or fiscal sponsorship
- Incorporation and bylaws
- IRS applications for tax-exempt status, including reinstatement of 501(c)(3) status after auto-revocation
- Property tax exemption applications
- Guidance on tax filings, insurance, governance
- Management services agreements and other agreements
- Conference administration
- Raffle licenses and compliance
- Liability waivers and participation agreements
- Re-domesticating nonprofit to Wisconsin
- Contributing author to the State Bar of Wisconsin’s publication A Guide for Wisconsin Nonprofit Organizations, fourth edition © 2018.
- UW Law School, East Asian Legal Studies Center, Instructor, Legal Writing and Analysis
- Law Clerk, Federal District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- Volunteer with public schools and youth activities
- Mock Trial coach, Madison West High School
- “You’re A Lawyer . . . Answer My Quick Nonprofit Question,” State Bar of Wisconsin webinar
- “Responsibilities of Directors of Nonprofit Organizations,” United Way
- “Duties and Protections of Directors,” various nonprofit boards