It’s that time of year again! Don’t forget to file your nonprofit organization’s “annual information return,” or Form 990.

All tax-exempt organizations (including 501(c)(3)s, 501(c)(4)s, and 501(c)(6)s) must file a version of the Form 990 with the IRS.  For many small organizations, it is a simple 5-10 minute process to file the “Form 990-N.”

You should be aware that if you do not file a 990 in 2015 and also did not file one in 2014 and 2013, your organization will lose its tax-exempt status and you will have to reapply with another application and filing fee.

Filing FAQ’s

Which Form?

Gross receipts (total income) of less than $50,000, file Form 990-N (see instructions below).

Gross receipts of $50,000 or more but less than $200k, file Form 990-EZ.
Gross receipts of more than $200k, file Form 990.
All private foundations, regardless of amount of income, file Form 990-PF.
When? The Forms 990 are due 4 months and 15 days after the end of your fiscal year.  This means that if your fiscal year is the calendar year, your organization must file by May 15, 2015, or file an extension, which gives you until August 15th.  (For Form 990-N, don’t bother with an extension, just do it!)


How?  To file the Form 990-N, click hereA 990-N is quick, easy and requires no financial information, but it is essential for preserving your tax-exempt status. You will need the following information to complete the 990-N:

Information Needed to File e-Postcard

Completing the e-Postcard requires the eight items listed below:

  1. Employer identification number (EIN), also known as a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).
  2. Tax year
  3. Legal name and mailing address
  4. Any other names the organization uses
  5. Name and address of a principal officer
  6. Web site address if the organization has one
  7. Confirmation that the organization’s annual gross receipts are $50,000 or less
  8. If applicable, a statement that the organization has terminated or is terminating (going out of business)

For other Forms 990, the forms can be found on the Forms & Publications page of the IRS website.

If you need to file a Form 990 or Form 990-EZ but do not have time to prepare it before May 15th, you may file an “automatic” 3 month extension by filing Form 8868 with the IRS. That form must be postmarked by May 15th to be effective.